Monday, October 12, 2009

Gratitude Journal

Regardless of whether we like the President, the economy or anything else in our current lives, we still have so much to be grateful for every day.

We live in a great country. We enjoy tremendous freedom. We are totally free to worship as we choose. Gratitude for our health or the medical professionals who are available to assist us in restoring that health must never be taken for granted.

A roof over our head presents another opportunity for gratitude. When I hiked the Inca trail with my 60# backpack in 1999, I had the opportunity to meet so many locals. They were warm, welcoming and happy even though many lived in “lean-to” homes which appeared to be fragile enough to blow down with a stiff breeze. When we look around us, we are so fortunate and yet we hear complaints.

Happiness is a state of mind, a way of thinking. Our circumstances do not determine our attitude. Over 90 per cent of our emotional reaction to an event is determined by our attitude toward it. Yesterday I wrote about my computer challenges changing over to a new operating system. I ended that article with the statement, “. I’m also grateful for an inquiring mind and desire to learn.” The bottom line of the situation still revolves around an attitude. First of all, I am grateful that I have a computer. Second, I’m grateful I can pick up the phone and call people with more technical expertise than mine to assist me in resolving the issue. Third, the technicians were patient, knowledgeable and persistent until we solved the situation. Fourth, I took responsibility that I chose to change operating systems; neither the technicians nor the company nor the software were responsible for the issue. It was my issue and they were helping solve it.

I am grateful technicians were available. I knew when I installed a new operating system which has not been officially released, that a few challenges would likely occur. To expect all technicians to be totally familiar with a “not yet released” operating system would be unrealistic. Once again, it was my choice to upgrade. I am responsible.

Life happens. Challenges occur. Not everything goes perfect 100 per cent of the time. That is simply a fact of life. How you choose, and yes it is a choice, to respond to life little dilemmas is totally within your control. You can choose to be Oscar the grouch from Sesame Street or view it as an opportunity to learn or exercise patience. You can be grateful for the good things in the situation or find something about which to complain and whine. The choice is yours.

The technicians will be far more inclined to persist in helping you when you maintain an attitude of appreciation rather than being cranky. Bottom line remains that it is in your best interest personally and professionally to adopt a positive attitude. If you choose to be grouchy, the technician may choose to hang up on you. That certainly will not solve your issue. The technician may not persist as willingly when you are not appreciative. Your blood pressure may go up when you choose to get all upset and angry. None of these factors will help anyone and your problem may not become resolved.
Keep a gratitude journal every day. Record the big and small attitudes, events or opportunities which present themselves in your day. Write at least 10 items in your gratitude journal every day. Look them over from time to time when you hit a snag in your schedule. A gratitude journal helps you focus on the positives in your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment