Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rocking Horse

The rocking horse theory permeates small business. Far too many people who own small businesses or home based businesses confuse motion with forward progress. Rocking horses create motion, but zero forward progress. Busy and moving does not equal progress.

Answering your email, calling your co-workers to inquire about what they did for fun for the weekend, or chatting with employees provides a delightful social activity; however, it rarely moves your business forward. Many new entrepreneurs confuse spending time in front of their computer with actually accomplishing forward moving business progress.

Analyze your activities. Are you jumping up from your desk and going to the kitchen for another cup of coffee or getting sidetracked with personal emails? How focused is your time and productivity? Petting the kitty or puppy for a few minutes may not seem like a big deal or take much time, but it is an interruption in focused thought and focused activity.

It may come as a surprise to John Jackson who does the CarbonCopyPRO wake up call but I shower with him every morning. Now before you get all excited, he is in Texas and I am in Colorado. Thank goodness I do not have a camera phone. My day starts at 6 am with daily meditation and positive affirmations. Physical fitness remains a top priority for me as I firmly believe in both a healthy mind and a healthy body. Anyone who knows me well knows that my treadmill/run time occurs for 99 minutes each morning. Why 99 minutes? The treadmill has a 2 digit read out. A series of stretches always follow my run. The wake up call with John Jackson of CCP starts promptly at 8:30 am MST; I sign in a minute or so before 8:30. Signing in is important. Since I ask my consultants to attend calls, I practice what I request of them. Setting a positive example is another mark of a top leader and top producer.

Think I forgot about the shower? Once I have logged in to the call, the phone goes on mute and speaker. Shower time while I listen intently to the call. Yes, I shower with John Jackson Monday through Thursday. Next I sign in to the Wealth Masters call and get ready for my day listening to WMI. No wasted time.

At 9:30 am I am ready to start writing articles, making videos, sending broadcast emails to my list, calling apps and BIBs and working on other creative new marketing ideas.

My head is down and my fingers are flying on the keyboard until about 1 pm when it is break time for a bite of lunch. From 1 to 3 personal details such as weight training at the gym every other day, errands or personal details such as my toastmasters officer duties take place.

From 3 pm to 5 pm there are follow up calls to consultants requesting assistance and returning calls to potential new consultants. From 5 pm to 8 or 9 depending on the day, there are evening training calls to conduct or attend. Always be masterminding with others who share a similar positive mindset and commitment to success.

Never confuse the motion of a rocking horse with forward progress in your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment