Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gratitude for my Life

During the hustle of the holiday season, people forget to stop and be grateful for our advantages. I am firmly grounded in my faith and yet I also fail to totally appreciate what I have at my fingertips.

Water flows freely here. We think nothing of long showers, running the dishwasher instead of hand washing dishes, watering plants or even watering the lawn in summer. There are people living in many parts of the world who do not even have clean water to drink and we are wasting water on a daily basis.

Holiday parties abound. In America we celebrate with numerous baked goods, special appetizers, dinner parties and lavish cocktail parties. We purchase special beverages and salute friends and family with a cup of holiday cheer. There are people in other parts of the world and probably some right here in our own country who go to bed hungry every night.

If we disagree with the government, we are totally free to express those opinions. No one restricts the books we read, the news printed or spoken, or our own individual speech. We are free to act and speak openly, provided we are not slandering the rights of others.

I live in Colorado where the typical winter temperature requires warm coats. No problem, we have the wardrobe which is appropriate for the temperature. We heat our homes in the winter and cool them in the summer. We are so very fortunate.

When the bills arrive or the income does not quite stretch to do all of the things we desire, it is easy to complain “poor me.” Nothing could be further from reality. In comparison to other parts of the world, we are still living in luxury.

Most American families have at least one car. Instead of being grateful for that car, it is not uncommon to hear someone fuss about the price of the gasoline.

During this holiday season, my focus centers on the blessings in my life. I have plenty to eat, warm clothes to wear, a roof over my head, a nice car to drive and wonderful friends all around me. Yesterday I shoveled the drive for my Toastmasters group to arrive; I am thankful for my health and ability to shovel.

When someone around you starts complaining, gently remind them of the number of blessings we enjoy every day. Gratitude deserves expression more than once or twice a year. Start by saying thank you to your family. Taking the time and effort to genuinely thank the people close to you for all the little things they do for you every day, makes them feel appreciated and makes you happier as well.

One of my favorite quotes reads, “You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you,” by Sarah Ban Breathnach ~ Simple Abundance.

I start and end every day with gratitude for the many blessings in my life. Focusing on the things for which you are grateful rather than the things you may lack, provides more peace in your soul. A grateful person continues to be a more desirable companion as well. Whiny, complaining people simply are not fun to be around. Jim Rohn, an icon in personal development, reminded us that there are people with whom you can spend an hour, but not a day. Other people whose company you may keep for a day but not a week. Associations and the attitudes of our associates does influence us. We guard the playmates of our children but neglect to use the same stringent rules for our own associations. Spend your energy being grateful for your life; associate with people who are also grateful for their lives. Gratitude is important. We have so much for which to be thankful.

For more articles and inspiration, join me at www.Elaine4Succes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment