Monday, December 14, 2009

It’s Not Too Late

Don’t resign me to a rocking chair because my chronological age passed 50. Referring to 50 as a half century has validity; however, that phraseology gives the appearance of being past tense. I beg to differ. Wisdom seldom materializes without time, experience and effort. If you are under 20 and you already know everything, more power to you. You’re exceptional.

Baby boomers unite; you have wisdom to share. We have learned a great deal about leadership, life and people. Granted, some of our wisdom we learned from making mistakes and some we learned from avoiding the mistakes others made and recorded for us. We are now able to share our successes and mistakes with the younger generations. This does not infer that younger generations will not make mistakes. I hope they will; we learn from stretching and making mistakes. The variance will be that they make different mistakes than we did. Business changes constantly; the economy and the requirements for a successful business are continuously evolving. Some basic principles hold true throughout history.

Today I heard a program by a recognized young industry leader in which he commented about it being too late for someone to contribute to society because they had reached the age of eighty. Ok, I agree that being an octogenarian does mean that you are past what most people consider as your prime years; it does not mean you no longer have value.

Anna Mary Robertson “Grandma Moses” started painting New York country scenes when she was in her 70s. Thus self taught artist not only became one of the most famous American folk artists but she continued painting into her 90s.

Julia Child was only a few months before her 50th birthday when she collaborated on her first book of the two part series on French cooking. Her “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” and her television interviews catapulted her into the spotlight of the culinary world.

Colonel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken when he was in his 60s.

Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote Little House on the Prairie at the age of 65.

Charles Darwin was age 50 when he published his complete theory of evolution. On the Origin of the Species sold out on the day it was released. He continued to write and publish for the next decade.

Henry Bernstein wrote his first book, “The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers” when he was in his 90s. He continued writing and publishing “The Dream.”

I earned my masters degrees at age 53 and 54 after being out of college for over 30 years. Sine then, I have gone on to not only enter new industries but also achieve the top leadership ranks. Note, totally new industries, new learning experiences. We are never to old to learn new skills as long as our mind remains active and our desire strong. In fact, learning new skills is one of the best ways to maintain and enhance an active mind.
I’m single and when a man tells me the first thing he plans to do is slow me down, my immediate thought is “goodbye.” Mentally and physically learning, growing, stretching and achieving creates a healthy life. I love my life. Rocking chairs are only attractive to me as a means to cuddle and assist grand babies in getting to sleep.

Read, create, ski, dance, and live life to the fullest. I am and I plan to continue doing so.

I have met people in their 20s who were mentally old; they essentially stopped growing. I have met many in their 50s, 60s, and 70s who were still young mentally and physically because they continued to expand their mind and exercise their body. How about you?

For more inspiration and articles, join me at www.Elaine4Success.com. Life is for living.

No comments:

Post a Comment