Saturday, December 12, 2009

Risk Taker

Every leader takes risks. Risk represents the only way to forge new territory. Without an element of risk, nothing would ever be accomplished. New lands would never have been discovered or settled. New inventions would never be created. Physical feats such as mountain climbing would never occur. Everything we do in life involves an element of risk.

For one person risk could mean jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute. For another person it could mean something as simple as preparing a new recipe for when your new boss comes to your house for dinner the first time. Risk to a young man could be as simple as asking a girl out on a date for the first time. Risk means different things to different people. Driving a car on a snowy mountain road at night involves risk. Some risks are avoidable and others help us to stretch and grow.

Business involves a risk. Whether you are starting a new business or working on a new marketing method within your current business. There is an element of risk. You can reduce the risk by doing some research to determine what has been successful for others in the past. Thorough research lessens the risk but nothing ever removes all of the risk.

When I lived in Michigan, I worked for a wonderful man. Together we built a large chain of Goodyear dealerships. The company grew from one store to five stores plus a corporate office. The business was extremely successful and the owner treated me very generously. Some of you might be thinking that I had lost my mind to leave such a situation.
As a single mother with two small sons, I wanted a better life for the boys. The influences of Detroit, MI were not compatible with my values and desires for them. We moved to a quiet little ski town. Well, it was quiet in 1981. Today Steamboat thrives as a world class ski resort.

I purchased a struggling bakery at the base of the mountain. I did not have any formal bakery training nor had I ever owned a business. Was this a risky move to spend our savings, move to a new area, open a new business (especially one for which I did not have any experience) and start a new life? Of course. Was it worth every minute of the learning curve? Absolutely. The risk paled in comparison to the potential reward of having the boys grow up in a healthy community.

Risk to reward determination forms the basis of the decision. Staying with an excellent employment situation in Detroit would have assured us of material comforts and a degree of financial security. Risking the move and new business provided potential rewards. The boys would grow up in a healthy atmosphere with plenty of fresh air, outdoor activities, friendly people, and wholesome values. I would realize a dream of owning my business and stretching myself to grow as a person and a business professional. The potential for long term gain always increases by owning your business. I had the opportunity to do so much more for them and for myself as a business owner than an employee.

Happily the results proved that the decision was excellent. The boys are happy, healthy, well adjusted and excellent athletes. I am now psychologically unemployable. I absolutely love being an entrepreneur. Once I experienced the joy and freedom of owning my business, I was hooked.

Henry C. Link expressed the fear of taking a risk, “While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” Reward comes in direct proportion to the risk involved. Remaining as an employee would have earned a comfortable living for me with very little risk; however, the personal growth both the boys and I experienced would also have been minimal. By stretching our wings and taking a risk, we experienced a new world of growth and opportunity. I continue to take risks and expand my horizons as do the boys.
How do you put a price tag on growth and potential for yourself and your family? We may feel as if we are out on the edge of the cliff sometimes, but the view is magnificent. For more inspiration and exploration of your potential, join me at www.Elaine4Success.com

No comments:

Post a Comment