Monday, December 7, 2009

Memory Lane

Technology rules our lives. Ever look around today and you will observe every third or fourth person on a cell phone. We call, we text, we check our email on our Blackberry or I-phone or whatever clone you happen to have of those devices.

Now I am aware that this shows my age, but does anyone remember rotary phones? My number was Twin brook 8; it was dialed as TW8 and then 4 digits. Sorry, I don’t remember the 4 digits. Walk a little farther back down memory lane and you may have read about crank phones. Ok, this really shows my age. Growing up in rural Kansas, my first phone number was a long, short and a long. Mrs. Kempton was the local switchboard operator. It was considered courtesy to pick up the phone to be certain no one was speaking on the party line before you dialed. Dialing was turning the crank several times for a long and only once for a short. Everyone on the party line heard the ring and knew who was being called. Of course it was not polite to listen to someone else’s conversation. Did it happen anyway? You bet it did.

I remember once picking up the phone to call my aunt Essie who was on a different party line and being told by Mrs. Kempton that she would dial but Essie was out in the garden and could not answer. Talk about everyone knowing everyone else’s business. We think we have privacy issues now? Privacy issues are not new.

Back in those simpler times, people were very courteous of each other. Since everyone heard all of the rings, it was considered extremely rude to call before 7 am or after 9 pm.

When my phone rings now in the middle of the night because someone forgot about time zone differences or expected to reach an answering machine rather than a live person, I sometimes reflect with amusement at those simple times of old.

Answering machines, voice mail, pre-recorded sales messages, auto dialers, and so many other technological advances have changed our lives. My Skype line allows me to speak with people from all over the world at a reasonable rate. One of the frequently used links on my internet browser is the “world clock.”

We take these modern technological conveniences for granted. We are so “connected” with everyone now. Remove the cell phone or computer from us and we feel almost as if we are missing a body part. Our cars are equipped with “Bluetooth” so we can continue to enjoy conversations while we are driving; I use my hands free telephone in the car every day.

Oh the marvels of modern technology within my life time. My pre-school grandsons are so savvy on the computer and Blackberry. They play computer games, they listen and watch their favorite programs on the computer, and they even know how to login with their own passwords.

There are two major lessons here.
1. The world revolves around ever advancing technology.
2. We are never too old to learn new skills

Who would have thought 60 years ago that technology would advance this much in a few short decades? What advancements will the next decades bring to us? Learning, growing and continuing to be mentally vibrant provides an excitement to life.

Most of my co-workers in Wealth Masters are closer to the ages of my sons, but they celebrate our interaction. I encourage you to get in the game. Do not let life pass you by with a whimper and a sigh. Smile, step up to the challenge and have fun. There are so many baby boomers out there who have so much to offer. Join me. Step up to the batters box and play the game of life and business flat out. If I can do it, you can do it.

I truly love my life and thrill in re-inventing myself. We do not need to take a backseat to anyone or any age group. Life is open to everyone who is ready to step up and enjoy the journey.

Come join me at www.Elaine4Success.com. I love my life. Start loving your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment