Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Scatty, My Christmas Surprise

Christmas gifts arrive in many shapes, sizes and value.

A demure little gray tiger striped kitten with a white throat and 4 little white anklets came to live with me at Christmas time. She would sit in the center of the room very prim and proper and then suddenly take off like a rocket. That little fur ball would fly out of the room. My son named her Scat and the name evolved into Scatty Cat.

Since my kids were grown, I chose a large Douglas fir as my Christmas tree that year and placed it in the center of my bow bay window looking out at the Steamboat Springs ski mountain. I was elated to know that now I can finally use those beautiful antique glass ornaments I’ve been saving for years. I had saved the ornaments all these years until the boys were grown and it was safe to hang them. The lights reflected off the glass balls and made a lovely sight from inside and outside the house. A few days later I am in my office when a repairman who had been at the house came into my office and asked me why my Christmas tree was lying down. I said, “It isn’t.” He assured me, “Oh, yes it is.” Upon returning home I found the large Douglas fir was indeed prone and surrounded in a sea of shattered glass ornaments. Ever try to remove shattered glass from thick plush carpet? It's not fun. It’s like Christmas tree needles you keep finding them even months later.

I looked around, but no Scatty cat . . . She was finally located under the center of the king bed where she refused to budge for 2 days. We will never know exactly what happened. Did she try to climb the tree or attempt to go through it to sun herself in the bow bay window? One fact I know for certain. Scatty lived with me until just after her 20th birthday and never did I ever see her go within 3 feet of another Christmas tree. There was a correlation between the reclining Douglas fir and my little furry Christmas present.

Scatty could have been one of the most memorable and most expensive Christmas gifts I ever received when you consider the cost of irreplaceable antique glass ornaments.

Scatty proved to be quite a little challenge. Scatty was memorable in many ways – some expensive and some not. Not all memorable gifts are expensive.

Consider going to the Humane Center and adopting an animal for Christmas. Scatty was a “kitty of the streets” before she came to live with me. She adjusted quite well to being inside, warm, well fed, and loved. She did not seem to miss her former life on the streets.

Scatty continued to give love, as well as challenges, for the next 2 decades. She provided a warm purr and a friendly greeting when I entered the house. With the possible exception of times when I took a week business trip and she had a “kitty sitter,” she was happy to see me. After those long trips, she exhibited indignation that I would dare to be gone.

Normal kitty cats say “meow;” however, at times like those her vocal sounded more like “me now.” Keep in mind that her “kitty sitter” treated her to more tuna and kitty treats every day than I did and she was still greeting me with the feline attitude of paws on the hips. Scatty cat provided a great deal of love and companionship to me and I believe she felt all of that love returned to her as well.

During this time of Economic Challenge, why not give a gift of the heart? A pet provides a wealth of love to be given and gained.

For a more complete video on the subject of Scatty cat, see the video “The Fur Flew” on You-tube. That was a fun presentation before a live audience.
For more articles and inspiration, join me at http://www.elaine4success.com/

Have an inspired and loving Christmas and New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment