Sunday, August 23, 2009

Always Be Growing - Books

“You will be the same person in five years as your are today except for the people you meet and the books you read,” Charles “Tremendous” Jones.

There are so many notable quotes encouraging us to read. Jim Rohn says, “You can always pass up a meal, but never pass up a good book,”

There was a story I heard once on a cd about a shoe shine lady who was reading novels. She had quite a pile of those paperback dog-eared books by her shoe shine stand in the airport so she obviously liked to read. The problem was that her daughter had won a cheerleading contest and he mother desperately wanted her to go on to the competition; however, there was no money for the uniform or transportation to the contest. What if that pile of books had included “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill or “The Prosperity Secrets of the Ages” by Catherine Ponder or “The Travelers Gift” by Andy Andrews or even “The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People” by Stephen Covey. How different her life and the life of he daughter could have been just by reading “mind stretching” books instead of romantic novels.

When I look back on my life, there was a period where I read novels and mysteries and even Zane Grey. (Zane Grey was a master of description.) These books were fun but really did not stretch my imagination in a way to make my mind grow in the slightest.

The periods in my life where I achieved the greatest growth and progress were when I read personal development books and business books. The interesting thing is that I have an extensive library and yet I seem to go back and re-read some of my favorites – like the ones I listed above. Each time I go back and read one of them again it is as if someone had revised some of the chapters because I view the information through new eyes and new experiences. I am not the same person I was even 3 years ago. I have learned and grown as a person. Consequently, I view the words in a slightly different context now. It is as if it is partially a new book.

Now, of course, if you are still reading romantic novels and grocery store tabloids, you may still be the same person you were 3 years ago. What is it that you want from your life? Are you content to stay the same? I doubt it or you would not be reading this text right now.

At least you are reading. It is amazing to read the statistics of people who never read a book after they stop going to school. That is so far from my reality that it is truly hard for me to even fathom. I have loved to read from the time I was a small child. Reading is a positive habit.

Once you develop the habit, then step up the quality of your reading material. Challenge yourself to stretch your mind and enhance your creativity. Most of us use les than one tenth of one percent of our brain power. Imagine what you could accomplish if you used ten percent of your capability. You have within you everything you ever need for success. Are you stretching yourself and reaching higher? Or would you rather settle for the status quo? Personally, I have big dreams and big goals. I’m not even close to finished. Come join me. Life has so much to offer if we will just reach for it.

Books are a source of wisdom and inspiration. They are here and ready. All we have to do is pick them up, read and implement. Easy to do? Yes. Easy not to do? Also Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment